MAX3MIN – Very Short Film Festival
The third edition of the “MAX3MIN - Very Short Film Festival” (hereinafter also only the “Festival”) is organized by the 3Dici Association (DATA, hereinafter also only the “Association”) and by Max3min srl, registered office Vicolo Santa Maria alla Porta 1, 20123 Milano Italy, VAT Reg. no. 11409880967 (hereinafter, also “Organizer”).
Other partners can support the Festival which is has the patronage of Milan City Council.
Entering a work and participation in the Festival entails the acceptance in full of the following Regulations:
The short films are admitted to the pre-selection of the Festival in the respect of the following requisites:
Running time: maximum three minutes excluding the closing credits.
Support: all the formats allowed by the FilmFreeway platform, analytically described at this address which the candidate hereby declares having read, understood and accepted.
Language: At the choice of the candidate, on condition that there are subtitles in English.
Number of productions: (i) maximum two per candidate registered for the “MAX3MIN International Short Film” competition and the “Next Gen” Competition and (ii) only one production for each candidate for the special "Blackball section".
Period of production: after 1st January 2020.
Failure to respect even only one of the conditions under point 1 of these Regulations will entail the exclusion of the work from the Festival.
The selection of short films will be by the Selection Committees (International Short Film Competition and Next Gen competition by the Festival selection committee, Blackball section by the Blackball team) with their decisions being final, on the basis of the respect of the requisites as per this article and the artistic and technical qualities of the works presented.
Only for the special Blackball section, subject to verification of the respect of the requisites as per this article and on condition that the videos uploaded do not present any content that is vulgar, obscene, offensive, defamatory, racially or ethnically questionable, not compliant with the legislation currently in force or in violation of the privacy of others, the main element of evaluation and the distinctive criterion of selection of the winning short film will be represented essentially by the crafting.
The candidate declares that the work transmitted (and all the contents present in the same) is of their property or that they are the holder of all the rights, including of economic exploitation, of the same. By entering the Festival, the candidate declares and guarantees:
- that the short films uploaded do not contain any material that violates the rights, the reasons and the claims of any third parties;
- having obtained from all the people who are present in the video or who have any right on the video, all the authorizations and the releases necessary for the participation in the Festival, including in relation to the legislation on protection of personal information and, that on the request of the Organization, will send this documentation to confirm this declaration and guarantee;
- having obtained the written authorization of the parents or guardians for the videos which portray minors, including in the respect of the legislation on the protection of personal information;
- that the videos can be freely and legally exploited according to the provisions of these regulations, that the author of these works is the sole holder of the relative rights of use, or has acquired the authorization of all the subjects holing these rights, having correctly complied with any requisite and/or satisfied any right including of an economic nature, due to the subjects who are holders of these rights and/or sound/video release for the use of images, names and voices;
- being fully aware that every responsibility, including criminal, with respect to each work is on the user that uploaded the video.
The candidate, on request, undertakes to transmit to the organization of the Festival all the documentation proving ownership of the rights of exploitation of the work (so-called clearance) and in particular, all the information useful on: synopsis, director’s statement, productive contest of the work, any eligible parties, as well as on all the contents and subjects present in the work (music, any soundtrack, images, animation) and relative clearance.
The candidate undertakes to hold the organization of the Festival harmless from any claim, request, legal action that the latter may receive from third parties holding intellectual property and/or exploitation rights of the works transmitted. In order to be able to sent the short films to the selectors of the Festival, registration on the platform FilmFreeway is necessary, as well as the acceptance of the relative terms and conditions of use. Through free registration, the candidate authorizes the organization of the Festival to:
- Archive a copy of the short film admitted for the purposes of archive and study.
- Transmit on the Site (in streaming on demand, loop etc.) clips, miscellanea, trailers of contents of the short films admitted, for the purposes of promoting the Festival, including after its conclusion. The possibility of any commercial exploitation of the short films is excluded in all cases.
The Festival will be divided into the following categories of competition:
- MAX3MIN International Short Film competition: open to each candidate in the respect of the requisites and limits as per art. A;
- NEXT GEN competition: reserved for students at secondary schools as defined by Law no. 53/2003, art 2., section I, letter d);
- Special Blackball section: open to all candidates over the age of 18 in the respect of the requisites and limits as per art. A.
The short films can be sent for the following deadlines:
- Free of charge from 15th December 2022 00:01 a.m. until 15th March 2023 11.59 p.m., in the respect of the conditions which will be shown on the website, for the categories of the International competition and Next Gen.
- At the price of euro 10 from 15th March 2023 00.01 a.m. until 15th April 2023 11.59 p.m. in the respect of the conditions which will be shown on the website, for the categories of the International competition and Next Gen.
- At the price of euro 15 from 15th April 2023 00.01 a.m. until 15th May 2023 11.59 p.m. in the respect of the conditions which will be shown on the website for the categories of the International competition and Next Gen.
- Special Blackball section: (i) early bird, free participation in the case of presentation of the short film January 18th from 06.00 p.m., to January 28th 06.00 p.m, (ii) standard, participation at the price of 25 Euro from January 28th 06.00 p.m to 15th May 2023 11.59 p.m.
The short films in the International competition sections will be evaluated by the Festival Selection Committee which will decide, with its decision being final, the admission to the Festival. The results of this pre-selection will be notified to the candidates by email.
The short films in the Next Gen competition sections will be evaluated by the Festival Selection Committee which will decide, with its decision being final, the admission to the Festival. The results of this pre-selection will be published on the Site.
The short films in the Blackball competition section will be evaluated by a special Blackball Selection Committee with professionals from the cinema sector identified by the sponsoring company Blackball S.r.l., registered office vicolo Santa Maria alla Porta 1, Milan, tax number and VAT Reg. no. 11063740960 (hereinafter “Blackball”). Videos with any content of an advertising nature will not be accepted for the Blackball section. The results of this pre-selection will be published on the Site.
The candidate acknowledges and accepts that every decision, evaluation and/or opinion of the Selection Committee, or of the Jury of the Festival and of the organization of the Festival in general, is of a purely discretionary nature and as such final, so that they waive in advance any possibility of contestation.
In the case of admission the candidate undertakes to give the Organization of the Festival a copy of the work in the format and in the ways that will be notified to the candidates.
In the case of admission, the candidate grants each short film (in free license for use) (including the promotion and sponsoring of the work and of the Festival) and the transmission, as well as for purposes of archives and study for the period of one year from the conclusion of the Festival.
The short films that are admitted to the Festival will be transmitted on the website according to the calendar established by the organization of the Festival and will be available for viewing on demand without limits of reproduction according to the calendar established by the organizers of the Festival.
The short films admitted to the Festival will be screened on 15/16/17 September 2023 at the Cineteca in Milan. Each candidate explicitly hereby states their consent to the screening of their work.
The Jury of the Festival, with its decisions being final, will award the following prizes:
- Best Short Film: a prize in money awarded by the Jury of the Festival – International Competition, made up of professionals from the world of cinema and film culture, equal to euro 3,000.
- Next Gen Prize: a technical prize awarded by the Festival Jury – Next Gen Competition, made up of professionals from the world of cinema and film culture (e.g. last year it was a mirrorless Panasonic Lumix DMC-G80MEG-K digital camera).
- Blackball Prize: assistance for the production of a new short film, consisting of rental of the technical material for the production of the video and/or post-production activities and finalization of the artistic project (colour correction, online sound and video) within a maximum value of euro 5,000.00 or, subordinate to and again receiving the adequate supporting documentation by the winner, reimbursement of the expenses borne for the aforementioned services within a maximum value of euro 5,000.00; in both cases, in addition, Blackball will guarantee the visibility of the winning short film on its channels of communication (website and Instagram channel) for the 90 days following the award of the prize.
Essential conditions for the award of the Blackball prize are that:
- The project for the production of the new short film is presented by the winner to Blackball within a maximum period of 1 year from the date of selection of the winner;
- It does not present a vulgar, obscene, defamatory or racially or ethnically questionable content;
- Is compliant with the legislation currently in force and does not violate the privacy of others.
The award of the prize will be notified to the winner by email, at the address given by the subject at the time of entering the competition and will be published on the Site, on the site of Blackball and on this sponsor’s social channels.
Each candidate hereby authorizes the organization of the Festival to transmit on the Site (in streaming on demand, loop etc.) clips, miscellanea, season of films, or each work admitted, including after the conclusion of the event.
The organization of the Festival reserves the right to interrupt or conclude the transmission of the short films when ninety days have lapsed from the end of the Festival.
For any dispute that may arise relative to the interpretation, the execution and the termination of these regulations, the Parties elect as exclusive and finally competent the court of law of Milan which will settle any dispute according to Italian law.
As far as the special Blackball section is specifically concerned it is hereby acknowledged that the Organizer and Blackball operate as joint owners of the treatment (hereinafter “Joint Owners”) and that they treat the information of the participants (consisting of identifying details, contact details and information on occupation, the information contained in the short film presented for the purposes of taking part in the competition and in all the information associated with the video – hereinafter “Information”), for the sole purpose of allowing these subjects to take part in the competition, to assign and award the prize to the winner with the ways as better described in these regulations, as well as for the purpose of complying with the obligations of law association with the implementation of such an initiative. The Information will also be treated for purposes of legitimate interest by the Joint Owners, as activities of archive and study and for any defensive requirements. The legal bases of this treatment are art. 6, section 1, letter b) (execution of a contract), c) (obligation of law) ad f) (legitimate interest), of the GDPR Regulation 679/2016 (hereinafter “GDPR”). For the purposes described above, the Information will be kept for the whole period of the competition and for the period of one year from the award of the prize.
The treatment of the Information by the Joint Owners is a necessary requisite for participation in the competition; in the case of refusal by the data subject, it will therefore not be possible to accept their entry for this initiative.
Each data subject is entitled to request access to their Information, the rectification, the cancellation of the same or the limitation of the treatment, or to oppose the treatment and request portability. The data subjects are also entitled to file a complaint with the Authority Guaranteeing the Protection of Personal Information. On the request of the data subjects, the Joint Owners are also willing to put at their disposal the essential content of the agreement of Joint Ownership.
Each data subject may exercise at any time the aforementioned rights and/or the aforementioned requests for information, contacting either of the Joint Owners, by sending an email to email@example.com.
The Organization does not take any responsibility for any problem of access, impediment, dysfunction or difficulty concerning the technical instruments, the computer, the telephone line, the transmission and the connection, the Internet connection that may prevent a candidate from taking part in the Festival.
The Organization is also not responsible for the failure of delivery of communications to participants due to the indication by the same of information that is wrong, incomplete and/or not updated.